Webasto Range Plus
Retrofit heating solution for electric LCVs
Battery independent air heating solution increases comfort and extends electric range.
Overcoming Cold Weather Limitations of Electric Vans with the Range Plus Kit
Electrification of Last Mile Delivery LCVs
Battery Electric Light Commercial Vehicles (LCV) are gaining popularity in the logistics and transportation industry as they offer a zero-emission solution for last-mile delivery and shuttle services in environmental zones or city centers. However, one of the biggest challenges faced by operators of electric transporters and shuttle vans is the limited range and comfort in cold weather conditions.
Challenges In Cold Weather
During the cold winter months, electric LCVs struggle to meet their stated range due to the increased power consumption of the heating system. This leads to issues for operators of package delivery services, who may have to shorten and re-route their daily driving routes and may also affect the transportation of sensitive and perishable goods due to the unheated cargo area.
Webasto Range Plus Kit is the Solution
The retrofit solution Range Plus is designed to provide powerful and efficient heating by means of an Air Top 2000 STC air heater, which causes no strain on traction battery for resistance heating. Range Plus solution allows electric transporters, workshop and shuttle vans to travel further on one charge.
This means that fleet operators and drivers of e-LCVs do not have to charge as often and thus save time on their routes. Additionally, the Range Plus kit can provide a comfortable and warm environment for passengers and cargo, even during the coldest winter days.
Extended Range and Environmentally Friendly
The Range Plus kit can increase the range of your electric LCV by up to 80 km* in cold weather conditions. This is achieved by reducing the load on the battery and providing an alternative source of heat.
Additionally, when using e-fuels (e.g. HVO), the operation of auxilary heater is exceptionally environmentally friendly which does not increase emissions, but still allowing to extend your electric range and avoid re-routes for charging breaks. This means that the driver can operate on schedule and in comfort, even during the coldest winter days.
* Proof of concept with Mercedes Benz EQV 300 (2020)
Perfect Comfort. Anywhere. Anytime.
The solution is exceptionally advantageous for further application posibilities, and negates the major problems of electric LCVs:
- Student transport: due to waiting times between tours without charging possibility and frequent door opening
- Transport of disabled or sick persons: due to waiting times between tours without charging possibility and frequent door opening, as well as increased heat demand of passengers due to movement restrictions
- Mobile workplace: workshop or office vehicle with long off-grid standby times e.g. for monitoring activities or assembly work in the field
Convenient Solution for Fast Installation
The Range Plus air heater kit includes:
- Vehicle specific installation manuals and technical documentation
- DEKRA approved additional fuel tank with 8 liters capacity and refueling nozzle, which guarantees 40 hours of effective heating
- The auxiliary air heater from Air Top Range, that can also operate on e-fuels
- All required electrical & mechanical installation parts
- A set of individually selected air distribution hoses to guide warm air into the driver’s cabin, cargo compartment and passenger area
Find an Installation Partner
With the Webasto Dealer Search you can find the nearest installation specialist and request an offer for your Range Plus Kit.